top banner

Our History

Staff members of J. Paul McCracken Funeral Chapel, Inc. are caring and experienced professionals who understand that each family is unique and has personal requests and traditions. These requests and traditions are of utmost importance to our staff of licensed funeral directors.

 

Pictured Right:
Dr. J. Paul McCracken - Funeral Director
Cynthia R. McCracken - Funeral Director

 

Leroy E. Sibel started it all back on June 12, 1912 when he opened the Sibel Undertaking, Furniture and Livery Service at 149 E. Main Street in Ligonier, Pennsylvania, which is now the site of Ligonier VFW Post #734.

 

Owen Wolford began working for Mr. Sibel in 1931 when he was 14 years old. Mr. Wolford became a licensed funeral director in 1945 and became a partner with Mr. Sibel in 1950. The funeral home name was changed to the Sibel-Wolford Funeral Home.

 

Together, in addition to the funeral home, Mr. Sibel and Mr. Wolford operated an ambulance service to the Ligonier Valley for 57 years with never a charge for service.

 

Upon Mr. Sibel’s retirement in 1969, Mr. Wolford became the sole owner of the funeral home and the name was changed to the Owen Wolford Funeral Home.

 

J. Paul McCracken joined Owen Wolford as a licensed funeral director in 1983 and the name was changed to the Wolford-McCracken Funeral Home. Mr. McCracken’s family owned a dairy farm and a coal mine in the Ligonier Valley for years.

 

Mr. Wolford retired in 1986 and the funeral home name was changed to the J. Paul McCracken Funeral Home. After two extensive building additions which included a large chapel, the funeral home name was changed to the J. Paul McCracken Funeral Chapel.

 

Mr. McCracken’s wife, Cynthia, is also a licensed funeral director with the firm.

 

Leroy Sibel retired in 1969 and passed away in 1973 with 57 years of funeral service. Owen Wolford retired in 1986 and passed away in 1990 with 55 years of funeral service to the people of the Ligonier Valley.